Brother seeker of enlightenment,
We have just completed the study of the Twelfth Degree and will move on to the Thirteenth Degree at our next session which will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 16th at 7:00 PM. There will be dinner before this session at 6:30 with the class to follow. We had good attendance at our last session, including several brothers from our last class and a brother from the Valley of Lake Worth, and hope you will continue to attend and bring new faces with you in the future. Even if you have not attended before each session is a separate degree, so there is no need to feel that you have to have prior experience to enjoy the class. As before the resource material for this and all subsequent degrees is as listed below. It is suggested you bring your copy of “A Bridge to Light” to class and study the 13th degree beforehand at home.
As before the resource material for this and all subsequent degrees is as listed below. It is suggested you bring your copy of “A Bridge to Light” to class and study the degree beforehand at home.
- Morals and Dogma by Albert Pike, 33°
- A Bridge to Light by Dr. Rex R. Hutchens, 33°, G.C.
- Clausen’s Commentaries on Morals and Dogma by Henry C. Clausen, 33°, Past Sovereign Grand Commander
- Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor and Guide by Arturo de Hoyas, 33°, G.C.
- The three zealous brothers; Adoniram, Yehu-Aber, Satolkin
- The triangular luminous pedestal
- Cube of Agate
- Triangle of Gold
- The Word (Ineffable Name of Deity)
- The arch and descent into the Vault
- The great law of retribution acts in our memory as remorse
- Seek knowledge, be motivated by duty and honor
- The freedoms of a people are best assured when guaranteed by a written constitution
Topics for Discussion
- The sacred name was a magical word not to be uttered. What does the word represent? What is the allegorical meaning of the Lost Word?
- Pike claimed the keystone of the Royal Arch was symbolic of a charter or constitution. Is this in keeping with Burke’s idea of conservative political thought?
- What is the meaning and significance of the triangle, cube, triangular pedestal and the cubical but vaulted shape of each chamber giving it the shape of a broached thurnal?
- Explain Pike’s idea that patriotism is interwoven with religion.
- How are the ideas “religion of toil” and “faith without works is dead”, related?
- Explain the concept that all social relations and our vocations are understood to be holy.
- Symbolically the descent into the cave is a descent into the human psyche. Why are there nine vaults and what does the ninth symbolize?
- What is the possible symbolism of the materials in the degree; Enoch’s pillars of granite and bronze, the pedestal of alabaster, the cube of agate, plate of gold, and caverns excavated in granite?
Looking forward to an interesting and rewarding session,
Ill. Harry Eisenberg, 33°